Why STEM? STEM IS THE FUTURE.
STEM-related industries are the fastest growing and the highest paying.
STEM industries include traditional computer, math, engineering, and science jobs, but there are many more. STEM-related industries include manufacturing, aviation, health services, professional and technical services, and so many more. The Eastern Oregon labor market is changing. STEM-related critical thinking skills provide job security, increased opportunity, higher wages (example below), and open doors within the new environment.
Average Annual Household Earnings*
All occupations: $46,237 STEM-related occupations: $67,013
Key Features of STEM Learning:
1. Real-world applications
2. Problem solving and critical thinking
3. Integration of content
What GO-STEM is Doing:
In the current biennium (2017-2019), GO-STEM provided eastern Oregon:
• 1600+ hours of educator training
• 3,723 hours of out-of-school student activities
• 80+ pieces of technology/equipment for classroom use
• STEM Student Leadership training to 21 CSOs in 6 counties